Saturday, January 24, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside


Monday, December 22, 2008 was forecasted to be cold and so it was a bitter 25 degrees cold! It’s hard to know what cold is until you experience it, but now when the lyrics it stings your nose and bites your toes is sung my mind understands it in a new, “I know what that feels like” way. Undaunted by the cold we made our way to the waters edge where the Body Exhibit was housed and spent a few hours in doors exploring the make up of the body. I think watching CSI has quashed my squeamishness because I was only fascinated, not creeped our. Okay, there was one that bothered me and that was the one which was cut horizontally and the spacing stretched the body out to be about 7 feet tall. It was disconcerting.
Next stop the Statue of Liberty. We didn’t feel the need to touch it, but Byron had never seen it even though he lived there for 2 years. A brisk walk for a photo op with the Brooklyn Bridge and we set off for Battery Park where we could view Lady Liberty across the water.
Did I mention it was cold? It was so cold we couldn’t make the trip in one leg so I diverted the family into a Hallmark store so I could make sure I still had fingers and toes since I couldn’t feel them. A search for a birthday card for Ellie and a wall heater thawed us out and we were on our way again.
Byron found Lady Liberty, the pictures were taken, and we were off again in search of a subway and China Town. We found a restaurant that was filled with locals, always a good sign, and settled in feeling a little conspicuous but happy to eat. I don’t remember the food, I think it was good, but the picture of Don at the end of our meal made the whole moment memorable. The things you learn on the internet!

We can’t seem to close out a day in New York without a play so we thought we’d try our luck on Billy Elliott. The tickets were sold out so you had to go stand in the cancellation line. We went early in the evening and landed the first place in line. The queue quickly filled to about 10 people and we felt lucky that we arrived when we did. The clock was counting down and still no word on ticket availability. We watched as hundreds of people filed past us snacking on the candy Don had picked up for us at the drug store. At last, five minutes to show time the call came. “Two tickets are available.” We had already decided that Paige and I would go if there were only 2 available so we scurried up and purchased two tickets on row G! We paused for a moment to see if Don and Byron would get tickets and voila! They had two more right next to ours! What are the odds? This time we stayed for the whole show!

No comments: