Monday, February 15, 2010

A Short Night and a Long Morning

I can't mention a car being stolen and not post the story. Fortunately it was such an amazing story I wrote it down. Here it is:
May 5, 2008
Don and I were jolted out of our sleep at 3 am by a pounding knock on our door. It took us a minute to gain complete consciousness and understand that we needed to answer the door. We both went, peeking through the peep hole first. Police! Don opened the door and a policeman asked us if we owned a purple Honda Accord. It's really blue, but looks purple in certain light so we just acknowledged that we did and let it go. At that question my second adrenaline rush raced through my body. Where was Paige? The officers next question was, "Where is it supposed to be parked?" I ran to Paige's room and threw open the door. Paige was sleeping, undisturbed by the commotion at the front door. (Huge sigh of relief.) I happily reported that my daughter was sleeping in her bed. Don accompanied the policemen, in his pajamas (good thing we wear them) to the street to the location where Paige's car should have been parked. It was not there. The policemen then shared that the car was found in Chula Vista, about 35 minutes south of our home, and they would call us back later with more information. Fifteen minutes later we received a call from the same policeman giving us a case number and telling us to go back to bed because it would be a while before they arrested the people who stole the car, and that drugs were involved. Who could sleep after 2 adrenalin rushes?
The phone rang again at 4:45 am, this time it was the Chula Vista police asking us to come get our car. If we didn't come right away they would tow it and we would have to pay $120. Since Don works in Chula Vista he decided he would go to work extra early, so he showered and dressed for work, and off we went. The car was at the Good Nite Inn off the E Street exit. The contents of the car were strewn everywhere, and some things were in the hotel room. Nothing was missing except for a ring that was in the drink holder. We showed ID, signed a few papers, Don went off to work, and I drove the car home. Paige never wakes up to her alarm so I called her on my way back breaking the news to her that she wouldn't be going to seminary because she didn't have a car. The car felt violated so as soon as I got home I got out the shop vac and cleaned up the car. 7:00 am, May 5, 2008, Don is at work, Paige is on her way to school, and I am thinking about taking a nap!

1 comment:

mbreck said...

How terrible! I am glad the car turned out ok and you are all safe.